This week marks an end to your regularly scheduled programming of Weekly Wisdoms – The school year is getting started, and I’m part of a teaching team too, ya know! The regular TEALS meetups are an awesome way to keep connected, discuss issues, share ideas, and stay energized about the incredible work you’re doing.
I want to use this last post to run my own quick checklist of things to remember to start the year. This will be a mix of things covered by the Classroom Plan or Remote supplement and from my experiences that I’ve found important to classroom success, and fairly short, to keep it focused 🙂
- What will you be doing on day 1 to build connections with your students?
- How about day 2, when there are generally still computer issues?
- Speaking of which, what’s your Plan B activity for total internet collapse?
- Have you planned your first visit yet?
- What are your students’ names?
- What’s your plan for talking with every student every day?
- How will you conduct frequent formative assessment to gauge class understanding?
Please share your answers below! I’d love to hear more about what you all are doing, especially for the first few questions – I’m always looking for ways to better engage with my students. And if you’re a returning volunteer, call out things I’ve missed that you’ve found critical!